JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (2011-093)
Rockdale County is accepting applications for the position of Detention Officer in the Sheriff’s Office for current and future openings. This position is responsible for the safety and security of prisoners in and visitors to the County jail. Work includes supervision and control of detainees; enforcement of security rules, regulations and procedures; and, the provision of services and information to detainees. Applicants must pass the COMPASS test at levels established by Georgia Post.
· Maintains routine operations of the Jail and security of the jail, perimeter and exercise yard:
o Checks jail to verify that all prisoners are accounted for; monitor prisoner’s locations and activity.
o Collects inventories and logs inmate property at booking.
o Screens all visitors during inmate visitation periods and inspects/approves property to be given to inmate.
o Updates jail docket to show bookings, releases and location of prisoners when not in the jail.
o Completes and maintains all arrest and booking reports on all prisoners and persons placed on bond.
o Performs such tasks as fingerprinting and photographing of all arrested suspects prior to incarceration.
· Assures safety and health of prisoners:
o Escorts medical staff to deliver and dispense medications as prescribed by physician.
o Administers intoximeter test to D.U.I. suspects.
· Supervises inmate workforce in the routine and regular cleaning
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to inmate sentencing, pretrial conditions, and release.
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures established by the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office.
- Knowledge of Georgia records retention laws.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures covering inmate security, classification, care and discipline.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to receive and maintain CPR certification, Advanced First Aid certification and any other training as required.
- Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with inmates and the public.
- Ability to obtain POST certification (Peace Officer Standard Training) as a “Basic Jail Officer”.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Similar training or experience preferred.
- Must have a valid State of Georgia driver’s license.