JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (2014-046)
The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office is a State certified law enforcement agency. The Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police State Certification program is a progressive and time-proven way of helping law enforcement agencies calculate and improve their overall performances. The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office was first awarded State Certification in 2001.
The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office continues to be dedicated to providing the Rockdale County citizens professional and progressive service, and remains committed to meeting the stringent standards required to maintain State Certification.
Rockdale County is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Sheriff in the Sheriff’s Office for current and future openings. This position is responsible for performing a full range of law enforcement duties in the patrol, civil, crime prevention, investigation, transportation, court security, support services or detention functions of the Sheriff's Office. Deputies may be assigned temporarily to a specialty area within the department based on needs. Applicants must submit either a copy of their Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certification or a copy of their COMPASS entrance exam.
Maintains law and order and protects life and property to include:
- Patrols assigned geographic area.
- Receives and responds to dispatch calls; investigates and takes appropriate action on assigned calls.
- Conducts security checks of businesses, parks, public buildings, industrial areas and residences.
- Issues citations and/or makes arrests for violations of laws and ordinances.
- Prepares incident/accident reports.
- Attends and testifies in court.
- Responds to natural and man-made disasters.
- Receives, searches, books and places prisoners in appropriate cells; maintains security and control in receiving, visitation and other jail areas.
- Maintains order and ensures the security and safe condition of the courtroom; assures the safety of jurors and the public.
- Determines proper method for legal service of a process; prepares schedules to assure time and efficient routing of processes to be served.
- Maintains peace within controlled school and community settings.
- Transports prisoners.
- Locates defendants and serves criminal warrants.
- Assist with crowd control and security assignments at various public gatherings or incident scenes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
- Knowledge of law enforcement concepts and terminology, including jail operations, criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; first-aid principles and techniques; report preparation and record keeping; and human behavior theories related to criminology, crisis intervention and crowd control.
- Knowledge of laws and court decisions pertaining to law enforcement, including search and seizure, suspects and prisoner’s rights, and custody and protection of evidence; operational principles and practices of criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; court and trial procedures.
- Skill in communicating effectively in both verbal and written form;
- Skill in exercising sound independent judgment in emergency or stressful situations; correctly interpreting a given situation and taking appropriate action under a variety of conditions.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a four-year college with course work in political science, criminology, criminal justice or related field preferred. Must be a Certified Peace Officer under regulations of Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.).
- Must be qualified on the existing firearms qualification course.
- Must have a valid State of Georgia driver's license.
Rockdale County offers competitive salary and benefits package. EOE M/F/D/V. Smoke-free and drug-free workplace.
981 Milstead Ave, POB 289 Conyers, GA 30012 770-278-7575