Effective February 1, 2013, we will no longer accept firearm applications after 4 P.M.
All Probate Courts in the State of Georgia maintain and issue firearm permits. These permits are issued in the county of residency of the applicant. The current firearms permit is also a concealed weapons permit. It is a state license and is valid in the State of Georgia. Once the permit is issued, it is valid for five (5) years.
Residents may fill out the APPLICATION & CONSENT FORMS in advance. Forms must be typed or printed in blue or black ink only. Applicant must visit Probate Court before being fingerprinted at the Sheriff's Office.
To obtain a firearms permit in Rockdale County you must:
1. Appear at the Probate Court, complete the application for the firearms permit and have your photograph taken for license.
2. You must bring proper identification and it must show a Rockdale County address.
3. Upon completion of the application, you must go to the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office to be fingerprinted.
4. The Sheriff's Office fingerprints every day except Wednesday. Please anticipate a minimum of one hour wait time for fingerprinting. The hours for fingerprinting at the Sheriff's Office are as follows:
Monday: 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Tuesday: 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Friday: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
5. There is a $5 fingerprinting fee, payable to Rockdale County Sheriff's Office, at the time you are fingerprinted. It must be paid in cash and you must have exact change.
6. You are required to be fingerprinted within 90 days from the date of the initial application or the application will expire.
7. There is $30 license fee and a $37.25 fee for GBI fingerprinting- for a total cost of $67.25.
This fee is payable to Probate Court. The Probate Court accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit/debit cards ONLY. EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2013 PISTOL PERMIT FEE WILL BE: $74.25. NOTE: There is a $3.95 fee for debit/credit cards use and debit/credit cards are only accepted in person (not via mail or phone).
8. It will take approximately two to three weeks for the application and fingerprints to be processed. You will be informed by the Probate Court or Sheriff’s Department if there is a problem with the processing of your prints or license.
- If you have been convicted of any felony or any felony drug charges you are not eligible for a Firearms Permit unless you have received a full pardon
- If you have been convicted of a Misdemeanor Family Violence crime, you are not eligible for a Firearms Permit.
- If for any reason you are turned down for a Firearms License, no refunds will be issued.
Please contact this office directly to get assistance with the information contained in these PDF documents in another format.
Rockdale County Sheriff's Office
911 Chambers Drive, Conyers, Georgia 30012