>> Departments/Offices >> Tax Commissioner's Office
>> Auto Registration, Tag/Title Information
A motor vehicle must be registered within 7 days of purchase. For new residents, a motor vehicle must be registered and a Georgia driver's license obtained within 30 days of moving to Georgia.
Vehicles purchased or transferred into ownership are no longer subject to the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, vehicles are subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax (TAVT) paid at the time of registration. The TAVT is assessed at the following rates based on the vehicle’s value as determined by the Department of Revenue (used) or the retail sales price (new):
2013 – 6.5% 2014 – 6.75% 2015 – 7% 2016 and beyond – 7 %*
Owners of vehicles purchased after Jan. 1, 2012 are eligible to opt-in to the new system. To opt-in for free, the owner must prove the taxes (sales and property) already paid exceed the TAVT due. If the amount of taxes paid is less than the TAVT owed, the owner can pay the remaining difference and convert to the new system. This one-time option to convert must be exercised before Feb. 28, 2014.
All vehicles 1986 and newer must be titled (not applicable to trailers weighing less than 2000 lbs.)
To Register a vehicle, you must have the following information:
- Title (if there is no lien on the vehicle) OR...
- Complete name and address of lien holder
- Owner's certificate of registration
- Insurance company name and policy number
- Current mileage
- Original Georgia emission control certificate, if applicable, For more information, visit www.cleanairforce.com
- Application signed by all owners shown on the ownership paperwork (application available at any tag office)
- Valid Georgia driver's license with current Rockdale County address
When applying for automobile tags through the mail, please enclose the vehicle's Emissions Report with the payment and tag application. The Tag Agent will return the Emissions Report with your decal.