Who Needs a Building Permit?
A Building Permit must be received by a property owner who is undertaking any construction, alteration, addition or repair of a structure under the provisions of the Rockdale County Code / Unified Development Ordinance. Building Permits are issued by the Department of General Services and Engineering.
Types of Building Permits:
1. Single Family Residential Building Permit: A permit for erecting, constructing, reconstructing, altering, repairing or for conversion of a building for human habitation in residential zoning districts.
Single Family Residential Building Permit Application
2. Commercial Building Permit: A permit for erecting, constructing, reconstructing, altering, repairing or for conversion of a building for uses other than human habitation in non-residential zoning districts. Places of worship constructed on residentially zoned property shall follow the commercial building permit requirements.
Commercial Building Permit Application
3. Accessory Structure Building Permit: A permit for erecting, constructing, reconstructing, altering, or repairing a building and/or structure as an accessory use to the principal structure.
Accessory Structure Building Permit Application
A few examples of Accessory Buildings include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Storage shed located behind ones house for the keeping of miscellaneous house related goods such as lawn equipment,
- Swimming pool (separate permit required for constructing a swimming pool in all zoning districts in which a swimming pool is allowed),
- Ball court(s), and
- Storage structure accessory to a non-residential use.
4. Manufactured Home Permit: A permit to establish a manufactured home on a legal lot of record.
Manufactured & Industrialized Housing Application & Application Instructions
Please see the applicable checklist for the different types of building permits for additional information required to fulfill the permit application.